"Old School Teachings"

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 22:14:17 -0300

Hi Terry,
I run across quite a few pianos, that had been tuned within the last 5
years, and they are down, a semi-tone.
I used to wonder why. I have a couple of thoughts on it.
One was, that perhaps it was a vision impaired tuner, and he was afraid of
string breakage.
These are for the most part older pianos.
Another thought, was that he had found that if he did bring them up to
pitch, they didn't stay.
So he just tuned them at the pitch they were at, so they would stay for a
longer time.
I don't know, how the older tuners learned, maybe they were self taught, and
didn't know about pitch raises.
We know, that so much more information is available now, that wasn't 40 - 50
years ago.
I have no proof that my thoughts on this are even close to reality. But
there has to be some reason, that so many pianos are so flat.
I even tuned on the other day, that belonged to a minister. The piano, had
been bought new for him in the early 30's, he did not remember, it ever
having been tuned. It was down, almost a full tone. Not too bad for about 70
years.
Mind you, I am in a Province (State), with a total population, of under a
million. It is a rural area, so keeping a piano tuned regularly, is not a
priority. There is so many other places for the money to go. If I am lucky,
I can get them to tune regularly, for the 3-4 years that lessons are being
taken. I hear all the time, that no one plays it any more, now that the kids
are gone.
Just a few rambling thoughts.
Regards,
John M. Ross