Soundboard Installation & MC

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 20:54:39 EDT

In a message dated 4/23/2002 9:08:29 AM Pacific Standard Time,
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

> Subj:Re: Soundboard Installation & MC
> Date:4/23/2002 9:08:29 AM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:pianobuilders@olynet.com">pianobuilders@olynet.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet

   So I will humbly disagree that the rim is not a supporting agent of the
crown for without it the strings would squash more of the crown out as the
rib ends and board edge are moving outward and lifting. Without the Rim  the
rib ends and board edge  would still woggle around and lift when depressed in
the middle.
  The other isuue is that although the bearing is essentially a downward
force it does push out wards and into the rim at least a bit once the board
IS glued in. Since we have an arched system, vaguely similarto the concept of
a flying buttress used in cathedral construction,it is a resistive element.
 How much is I think part of the debate here.
    I'm not saying the rim does alot to hold a crown from diminishing  I'm
just saying it's a supporting agent which aids the boards stiffness.