"Old School Teachings"

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 23:02:52 -0500

A few of those old guys never learned anything they weren't originally
taught, and would tell you so as often and loudly as possible. They were
Depression kids and some never shook the mind set. Make do, do without, use
it up, think cheap, play it safe, slide it by. More recently, the tune it
low guys seem to be the cut-rate tuners, whether they are working for music
stores or not. They got the tuning job because they quoted the $35 price on
the phone, the customer fully intends to hold them to that price, and they
aren't about to do any extra work for the money since they're already
working so cheap. They would often use the low tuning price as a loss
leader though, selling hundreds of bridle strap and hammer filing jobs
(moto tool) as income enhancers. Many times when I was new to the business,
I'd find myself looking at a very dead old beater with an action so worn
out it wouldn't work well enough for me to try to tune it. It's a half
semitone flat, the bass bridge is hanging on the strings like a cat on a
screen door, entirely free of the soundboard. The customer is complaining
that my price was so much higher than that other guy's (and not at all high
at that), and I'm staring at a new set of bridle straps, a set of severely
filed hammers (into the moldings through the last octave), and very often a
new set of un-trimmed keytops.

The low pitch was just one of the symptoms of the overall service
philosophy, which the customer rarely noticed anyway. They were more upset
that I didn't tune the piano that the last guy rebuilt at such great
expense over that much more reasonable than mine tuning price.

A whole lot of the problems encountered in this business seem to consist
of trying to uneducate the customers of what the last guy told and sold them.
Ron N