was M & H tour, now tuned duplex

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 18:59:01 +1000

Sorry for the delay in replying Dan.

At 6:31 PM -0400 22/4/02, Duplexdan@AOL.COM wrote:
>Ron,
>Thanks for the update on the Schimmel Duplex. The design is apparently
>similar to The Fazioli and the new M & H.

Yes it is very similar, although Fazioli uses a taller extruded brass
block. Fazioli have a range of block heights, from which they chose
particular heights for fine tuning the down bearing settings when the
piano is strung. We do a similar thing when stringing our piano.

>I've tuned a few M & H's with the
>"skid plate", which is not a bad name, by the way. Did you coin it?

I sort of adapted it from the earth-moving industry, where there are
such things as skid plates on certain machines. It just seemed like
an apt name. We haven't been installing skid plates under our rear
duplex sections. Although this makes the process of moving the blocks
more difficult, I've been wary of the likelihood of sympathetic
vibration between the skid plate and iron plate (assuming less than
perfect seating).

>Tuning the halfround oliquots on the skid plates, using my slider is a heck
>of alot of fun. You can be so precise.

Yes I quite enjoy getting them sorted out also. It is amazing how
well they stay in tune once the piano is stabilised in a controlled
environment.

>Just in case you would like to try a Duplex Slider for M & H's, Fazioli"s or
>Schimmels, I have a few vintage tools for this duplex tuning application
>left, they sell for $ 75.oo, which is about two dollars more than they cost
>me to make.

Thanks for the offer Dan, but I have been using the Fazioli adjusting
tool since I visited the factory in 1994. It is made from high
density nylon or an equivalent. I have made Fazioli type adjusting
tool copies for a couple of colleagues also.

>Thanks again for the input. But next time you get a crack at one of those
>pianos, if you can write me the duplex scale you find, I'll send you a
>Slider in return, gratis.

That's OK, I'll be happy to send you the detail of the Schimmel next
time I see one. The rear duplex scale we're using in our piano at
present is
(from C88 down)
6 @ unison
6 @ a fifth above
12 @ one octave above (six either side of the bar)
6 @ one octave and a fifth above
8 @ double octave

(the individual blocks can be seen at the rear of the top two string
sections of the overhead image at;
http://overspianos.com.au/OS003.html )

Regards,

Ron O.