"Old School Teachings"

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:43:26 EDT

In a message dated 4/24/02 8:26:22 AM Central Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> My question: Why is it that many "old school" piano tuners "tune it where it
> lies". I can understand the old upright worries (although I find they are
> usually not justified), but not a 30 year old piano. I don't think human
> intelligence has gone up much since 50 years ago (I can think of many
> examples - but this is not a political list!) - I can only assume they were
> taught that way. Is that correct?

Terry,

Several people gave you the right answer, ignorance, laziness, fear, etc.  I
was, in fact *instructed* to "level it off and gitchyer money, she don't know
no difference" by the first dealer I worked for and the second, although in a
little better language the next time.  The second dealer told me that the
senior piano technician recommended it, saying that the desire was for a
*stable* piano and the pitch was not important.

Well, I had attended some PTG meetings by then and I said I knew better and
would prove it.  One of the salesmen resented how I flaunted what I could do
and said I would be fired when the piano went out of tune a week later or if
I broke any strings.  I broke no strings and each week thereafter, I brought
to his attention the fact that the piano was still holding and did so until
it was sold.  Eventually, I ran the old guy out of there and took over all of
his business.  He moved away, up north.   I've been getting into trouble ever
since trying to promote higher standards.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin