selling the pitchraise:student's neurology and inappropriate aural reference

Anthony S.Wright asw2nr@earthlink.net
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 08:31:09 -0500

Hi list

When I encounter a piano that is more than 20¢ flat I am able (sometimes) to
bring parents of piano students to an understanding that leaving the piano
flat will literally negatively affect the construction of the student's
neural pathways as the student learns; analogous to attempting to learn a
foreign language with a mouthful of marbles, or attempting to learn to read
under a flickering strobe light with dark glasses on. When normal conditions
are encountered, when the student then goes to play the teacher's piano
which is at standard pitch, the student will have yet another disorienting
experience with attempting to transfer learning structured with the flat
piano and inappropriate aural reference to a piano which has been
(hopefully) better maintained. Some folks get it and some don't.

Best

Anthony Wright