Songwriters, Temperaments (*was: neurology)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 21:27:49 EDT

Greetings,  (hell yea, this has to do with temperament).
Susan writes:
>>Now, pianos which are off-pitch WITH THEMSELVES do cause harm, because
musical interval sizes are learned<snip> It's important to set up that pitch
template right in the early years.<<

    I had interesting mornings yesterday and today.  Yesterday I tuned one of
my lease pianos (1892 Steinway upright, restored) to a very well known
pop/folk artist here in Gnashville.  She has sold millions of records over
the last 30 years and I have always known that she had particularly keen
ears.  She is also not shy about the quality of the tunings and likes this
particular piano because she grew up with one much like it.
   After I finished, I mentioned a well-tempered sound might be useful and
invited her over to listen to one.  She said, "Ok, let's go", so we came back
and she sat down at a 1950 M in a Broadwood's "Best". This tuning has some
thirds that are 18 cents wide,  11 cents, G-B and F-A are 8 cents, and the
C-E is 7.  This is not a drastic temperament but certainly offers a palette
of harmonic values.  She was initially taken aback by the key of E(18cents),
but began pushing around, getting sorta jazzy.  It was enough, she told me
she would like  to retune the piano at her house,(and yes, she said she would
be  glad to pay for it again).
    So,  this morning I went back and retuned.  She sat down and played for
approx. 30 seconds, stopped, and with tears in her eyes, said, "this sounds
like my mom's piano did".  She moved to the key of C and said that it was the
first time in years that she had liked the sound of C.  She then went to Eb,
thought it sounded great, tried out the Ab, said "wow, that is pretty intense
but I kinda like it,  in fact, I love the way this thing sounds.
    The early years might have been well tempered for a lot of people out
there but we will never know unless we try the alternatives.
Regards,
Ed Foote