"Old School Teachings"

Bigeartb@AOL.COM Bigeartb@AOL.COM
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 23:34:49 EDT

Hazen:
     I raise the pitch on the first pass with a jerking motion raising the
pitch a few waves above the pitch . This is determined by how low the piano
is below A440. I am not concerned about the true, perfect pitch. In other
words , I'm shooting fast for a "leaner" rather than a
"ringer".....(horseshoes)  On the second pass, I shoot for perfection. I mute
the entire tenor and treble section and set the temperment, and tune all
octaves in the treble. Then I tune the lower tenor octaves and entire bass
section. Finally, I begin rechecking the higher octaves and tuning the
unisons to each note. I recheck each note in the higher octave as I move
upwards. I finish up tuning the unisons in the lower tenor and mid section.
Hazen, it sounds real, real good and it don't take long. Of course when
you're hot , you're hot. I must say I must mentally be in the
"zone"....completely focused on tuning since I tune by ear. I have learned,
sometimes I may need to tune one piano before can get into the "zone". I
believe it may the the same concentration as athletes achieve. However, I
must say I have never, ever gotten into the "zone" in my golf game.....only
my tuning. I know you ain't gonna believe this but on many, many notes on the
Grand tuning today, they settled exactly perfect. I only had to tune them one
time....Real luck. Doesn't happen often....ain't that good.

Tommy Black
Decatur, Ala.