broken key repair

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:18:36 +0000

Hi Keith,
          We use the 1" iron on birch,  Easy to work with and is more than
strong enough.   Position and repair the key with CA glue first. on the
broken joint, then iron on the splints of veneer.   The CA glue will not be
strong enough on it's own, since this part of the repair is just an end
grain butt joint.  It is effective it keeping every thing in position, so
the splints are glued in the right place.

Regards roger

At 06:12 AM 4/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
>In a past thread, someone had the perfect side reinforcement/shim
whatchamacallit for strengthening a key broken at the balance rail.  It was
thin enough that sanding wasn't needed for clearance to next key. I was
thinking it was some of the veneer tape used for facing a shelf edge in
cheap cabinet work. Does anybody remember?
>Keith R.
>
>Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\brokenke.htm"

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.
Saskatoon/Regina.
Canada.