C Fork does not equal 440cps

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 22:26:21 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Joseph Garrett <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2002 11:16 PM
Subject: C Fork does not equal 440cps

> All,
> Just a bit of something to stir the pot. If you tune with a C fork, the
> piano will not be at A=440, (unless you fudge). The C fork is pitched to
the
> theoretical, (mathmatical) frequency of A, not the inharmonic. What think
> you all?
> Regards,
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

What do you mean, "the inharmonic"?  If you mean 'not harmonic', as in
'stretched because of inharmonicity', that would be true of any note,
especially the ones above the temperament octave.  But the C listed in
tables of frequencies calculated mathematically is a tempered, not a just C.
Now, depending on the individual piano, those frequencies will vary slightly
because of scale design (string length, gauge, plain vs. wrapped, etc.) and
inharmonicity, but still, if you tune middle C to 261.6, or the C above to
523.3, then A #49 will come out very very close to A 440.  Close enough for
99.9% of situations, which is as close as we get most of the time,
anyhow.   -- David Nereson, RPT, Denver