C fork/A fork

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 22:32:53 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Joseph Garrett <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2002 9:48 AM
Subject: C fork/A fork

> All,
> Close only counts in Horseshoes, Hand Grenades and H Bombs. If we espouse
> tuning to A=440 then, shouldn't we use an A Fork? Granted the difference
is
> minimal, but a difference non the less. If we were tuning to 435 would we
> not use an A=435 fork? (or do the math and use an ETD.)
> Regards,
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
> (Current Grand Poo Bah of the Get Rid of C Forks Society)<G>

    I use an A fork, but learned tuning starting with a C fork and have
nothing against them.  If the difference is only .2 cents, as somebody else
responded (that's 'point 2', not '2 cents'), then what the h___ difference
does it make in all but the most nit-picky, demanding situations, which
99.9% of home tunings are not?  The piano is at A=440 for only a small
percentage of the year anyhow, unless they get it tuned every few
weeks.   --David Nereson, RPT, Denver