C Fork does not equal 440cps

Sun, 28 Apr 2002 11:34:16 -0700

Whether you use a C fork or an A fork for your starting note doesn't =
bear on what your temperament octave is necessarily.  I think the best =
method is a 2 octave temperament from A2 - A4 setting the initial =
bearings using a series or contiguous thirds at 4:5 ratios (the =
Baldassin-Sanderson-Kimbell method).  F3 - F4 is more typical and =
traditionally taught here.  The European style has uses A3 - A4 for the =
temperament octave.  The main difference, I found, is that the beat =
rates of the 3rds are a little slower from F3 - F4 and thus a little =
easier to hear.  One advantage of the A3 - A4 octave is that you don't =
ever get transition notes in the temperament, and the temperament octave =
is more closely related to the pitch note (A4).  Using the double octave =
temperament will force you to naturally make the compromises necessary =
on any given piano in order to make the contiguous 3rds at 4:5 work.  A =
smaller piano will set up more naturally with narrower octaves and a =
larger piano will accommodate more stretch. =20

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Patrick Greene=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: April 28, 2002 10:57 AM
  Subject: Re: C Fork does not equal 440cps

  I guess my question is:  How difficult is it to learn to use the A =
temperament?  I apprenticed under a guy who felt that the C temp was =
more forgiving than the A temp.  I think he was going to teach me the A =
temperament, but he never got around to it and I was too ignorant to =
remind him.  The upshot is that now that is all I use.  I have yet to =
tune for anyone other than churches and private individuals. =20