C fork/A fork

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 15:21:55 EDT

In a message dated 4/27/02 6:57:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
joegarrett@earthlink.net (Joseph Garrett) writes:

> Close only counts in Horseshoes, Hand Grenades and H Bombs. If we espouse
> tuning to A=440 then, shouldn't we use an A Fork? Granted the difference is
> minimal, but a difference non the less.

Yes, but Joe, the difference would never matter under ideal circumstances by
a skilled technician.  By Al Sanderson's figure of .02 cents, it could not be
perceived aurally.  Bill Garlick proved this time and again in his classes.

What would make a difference would be the fork's sensitivity to temperature.
Some forks vary wildly, others a cent or two.

The other assumption being made is that anyone who uses a fork to tune
aurally will produce a perfect ET.  If you know me, you know that I don't
believe it is really true most of the time.  So, if anything, this would be
the argument for using an "A" fork over the "C".

I actually do agree that an "A" fork which is properly calibrated and
reliable should be used rather than a "C" but having said that, the people
who are experienced and more comfortable using the "C" fork and the
temperament sequence that goes with it will produce results indistinguishable
from the other method.  This has been proven enough times that the PTG Tuning
Exam permits the use of either pitch source.  Whatever difference there may
be falls far short of the very tight tolerances in the pitch and temperament
portions of the exam.

It is those whose temperament varies by either design or default who will
produce an A4 which is off the mark by using a "C" fork.  The standard for
pitch is A4 at 440.  C5 at 523.3 is merely the *theoretical equivilant*.
Some time ago, there were those who were saying that a temperament could
still be considered "equal" with 2 or even 3 cent tolerances for each note.
Those are loose enough standards to produce an 18th Century style
Well-Tempered tuning or even 1/7 Comma Meantone. Using that kind of loose
standard and a "C" fork would most certainly produce an A4 which would be
unacceptably off pitch.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin