C fork/A fork

Bradley M. Snook bsnook@pacbell.net
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 12:24:37 -0700

Tommy: That is more that good enough. C 523.3 would put your A4 at 440.041 (+0.16 cents). Once you factor in a very, very, very small amount of stretch, you probably land right on 440 every time.

Jason: You have that backwards: if C is "zero," then A would flatten with increasing stretch. But how much stretch to do you think is between C5 and A4 anyway?

I took some time to take some measurements at a few different temperatures. I did find about a 10 cent range in extremes. But if you make sure that your fork does not feel hot or cold to the touch, you will probably be in a range that varies less than one cent. Both an A and a C fork will experience these differences, so temperature is not really a factor for choosing one over the other.

20 F=441.729 (+5.26 cents)
56 F=440.397 (+1.56 cents)
98 F=440
120 F=438.729 (-5.01 cents)