Plane travel

Brian Lawson lawsonic@bdmail.co.za
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 21:56:59 +0200

I carried my toolcase within a suitcase to avoid unwanted interest. Also,
best if you have an inventory of its contents - within the case and a copy
on you.

For SA, ANY knife or sharp object is instantly confiscated and not returned.
Yet on the aircraft nice sharp stainless steel cutlery to eat your meal
with!

Brian

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher D. Purdy" <purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: 28 April, 2002 09:42 PM
Subject: Plane travel

Hi there,

I have to fly with my tuning tools this week and I want to be sure to
be prepared.  There have been discussions about security on this list
and I have a good idea what to expect but I am interested in getting
any additional advice.

I will be checking my tool kit of course.  I guess I will remove any
knives or razor blades that may be lurking in there.  I also will be
carrying on my lap top computer.  I understand that they will ask me
to have it on when I go through security.

Any other advice that any recent travelers can add?  This is a very
important gig I am going to and loosing my kit would be death.  Would
it be possible to carry a spare tuning hammer in my carry on bag?
They would probably think it was some kind of weird weapon.

chris
--
Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
School of Music, Ohio University