This week's encounters with Well Temperament

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 02:37:02 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: HazenBannister@cs.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 8:48 PM
  Subject: Re: This week's encounters with Well Temperament

  In a message dated 04/28/2002 10:04:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, =
jonpage@attbi.com writes:=20

    More and more professional musicians are requesting HT's, like it or =
not.=20

  Hi list,=20
  I might have sent a partial reply by mistake,sorry.=20
  Not wanting to sound contradictive.I can't find anyone in my area who =
knows anything about different temperments.That includes =
colleges,technicians,anything or anybody.I am interested and have run =
into a dead end street at every turn.This list talks about this topic a =
lot,but it's the only place I ever see or hear about it.I'm looking =
forward to Chicago,and tracking one of you down for info.=20
  In the dark,=20
  Hazen Bannister=20

      Same here -- Every time I've mentioned HTs to piano teachers, =
they've never heard of it.  A few younger musicians I know have =
electronic keyboards that enable other than ET tuning, and they at least =
know what a different temperament is.  But I have yet to have anyone =
request other than ET.  Others I mention it to will say something like, =
"Hasn't everything been equal temperament since Bach's Equal-tempered =
clavichord?" (or similarly ignorant response).  And the very few =
educated people who are aware of HTs also seem to think that one can =
play only in a few closely related keys or that one can't wander too far =
from I - IV - V chord progressions.  --David Nereson, RPT, Denver