echoes in schidmayer upright

Mon, 29 Apr 2002 08:46:22 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Newton Hunt" <nhunt@optonline.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>; "oren bendor" <obndr@yahoo.co.uk>
Sent: April 28, 2002 1:12 PM
Subject: Re: echoes in schidmayer upright

> Bear in mind that a certain amount of "echo" is inherent in most upright
pianos
> because the dampers are not located in the optimum place which is where
the
> hammer will want to hit the strings.  Upright damper location is a
compromise.

With respect to my friend, Newton -- vertical damping problems are rarely,
if ever, the result of their placement on the strings.

It's more of a missing mass issue. Check my PTG Journal article,
"Dampers-Why Are They So Darn Much Trouble?," December, 1995 for an
explanation of why vertical dampers so frequently cause problems and what
can be done about them. Significant improvements are neither difficult nor
expensive.