echoes in schidmayer upright

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 17:58:37 -0700

I have seen several good suggestions here.  On pianos that old
(1885)sometimes there is nothing you can do.  They were designed with more
residual ring than modern pianos today normally have.  There were some
pianos with linen dampers not felt.  I suspect the restoration included
modern felt damper materials as few people know how to make linen dampers or
would want to.  The new dampers may be the same size as original but they
are usually smaller than would be used today.  The list is below.  If you
have checked everything on the list, then declare the piano an historic
instrument and learn to love it just the way it is.  I very much agree with
Stephen of Stephen Birkett Fortepianos  (Authentic Reproductions of 18th and
19th Century Pianos)

However, here is my list:

1. Add felt or string braid between bridge pins and aliquots (if any) or
hitch pins.  Weave it into the strings so that every other string is above
the braid or felt.  Notes or unisons do not matter here, just strings.  On
rare cases, also weave it through the strings between the aliquot and the
hitch pin.
2. Check damper springs for strength--may need new ones or stronger ones.
3. Check damper head placement for correct wire bending.  When the action
moves out of the piano the dampers should push out to a spot behind the
string in relation to the hammer.  In other words, when the action is almost
in place and is pressed back to its rest position, the dampers should touch
the strings before the action comes to rest against the brackets.
4.  On rare, rare cases you may need to weave string braid through the
strings below the lowest horizontal row of tuning pins and above the
pressure bar.  In one grand I had to put braid between the Capo T'asto bar
and the un felted pressure bar nearer the tuning pins.
5.  Pay particular attention to bass strings as they put out some very high
harmonics when stimulated to vibrate sympathetically.  They will fool you
into thinking the problem is in the treble.

Good luck,

D.L. Bullock
www.thepianoworld.com
St. Louis