Curve on Bridge Bottom

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 22:42:33 -0400

I know some rebuilders cut a radius curve on the bottom of new bridges. I know some folks here have indicated that they do not. I will not dispute that it may well not make any significant difference which way one goes.

Is there any good technical argument either way? It sure seems to me that the biggest, stiffest, longest rib on the board should be an integral part of shaping the board. Has a straight-bridger measured crown on an installed board without the bridge, and then measured it after the long bridge was installed? Does it not flatten the board a bit? Is some of the ribbing theory (tighter radii) designed to compensate for the small (??) flattening effect of a straight bridge?

It can't hurt to cut a nice little curve into the bottom of a new bridge - can it?

Terry Farrell