Replacing Bass strings w/o treble

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:38:53 EDT

In a message dated 4/30/02 11:47:31 AM Central Daylight Time,
joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:

> are we really doing the best thing
> for the customer and the piano, by avoiding the replacement of the treble
> wire? I think not. It would be better to tell the client to wait until the
> monies are available for a complete restringing, rather then have a, still,
> off balanced piano, that WILL break more of the treble strings, down the

Joe

I totally disagree with this assessment. A new set of bass strings are not
going to disrupt the treble strings. Yes, the new bass strings will need a
few extra tunings at first. But if the customer is told about this before
hand, there should be no reason why the piano will stabilize within a few
months. The up side of this is a much better sounding piano. While bass
strings get tubby because of dirt, etc., treble strings don't get that way.
Although there might be some dirt and such at the aggraffs, which might cause
a slight dissonance of the treble strings, it is not a bad enough of a
problem that would justify replacing all the strings. The extra work involved
in replacing all the strings is not warranted, especially if the customer is
not willing to pay for it.

Wim