Stage lights and tuning stability

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:44:11 -0300

Hi David,
All you can do is try to get them to have the piano, up to operating =
temperature, before you tune.
I do not believe there is a way to predetermine the amount of drift, =
that will happen.
It will happen, especially if the piano is kept in a controlled =
environment room.
Waiting for other answers, that might actually solve this problem.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Love=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 5:21 PM
  Subject: Stage lights and tuning stability

  Is there any way to effectively deal with stage lights on the piano in =
terms of tuning stability.  I recently tuned an S&S D prior to rehearsal =
in a new venue.  The piano was moved on stage where it was used under =
the stage lights during rehearsal.  After the rehearsal I went to check =
the tuning and noticed that the pitch had dropped by about 2-3 cents. =20

  I used a Verituner for the first tuning and am confident about the =
initial pitch setting.  I have tuned many stage concerts but not had =
this happen before.  I am assuming it was the lights as I could feel =
that they were quite warm.

  Is there any reasonable way to avoid or prevent this?

  David Love