Stage lights and tuning stability

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:35:07 EDT

In a message dated 4/30/02 3:22:49 PM, davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

> The piano was moved on stage where it was used under the stage lights
>during rehearsal.  After the rehearsal I went to check the tuning and noticed
>that the pitch had dropped by about 2-3 cents.
>

>Is there any reasonable way to avoid or prevent this?

Greetings,
   This is the reason I have always felt that concert tuning was beyond
extremely careful pitch control.  It is the unisons, then the octaves, and
finally, everything else, that is important.
   If you can somehow get the piano warm before tuning, (which will require
the lighs be left on), tune it right on, otherwise, figure out a consistant
change between the lit and unlit pitch and then tune sharp in the shadows to
be pretty close to right in the light. ( all of us that have to tune
harpsichords for ANYTHING on stage are already acquainted with this,I guess).

REgards,
Ed Foote