Stage lights and tuning stability

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:29:14 +0000

Hi John,
          It is wise to be careful with the stage lighting thing.  Each
venue operates differently.   In rehersal the piano can sit under the
lights fully open for several hrs.  Yet in performance, it is wheeled from
stage right just for the Concerto, (40mins tops.)  The piano spots are then
turned on just prior to the artist walking on stage.
Tuning prior to performance I like to do the tuning with the piano spots
off.  I have not noticed enough drift to be of concern, or to have recieved
any complaints.  So tune to A440 with just the Ochestra lights on.  Just my
own take on the subject.  Pianist who want to play on stage untill the last
possible minute is a far bigger bug.
Regards Roger

At 05:44 PM 4/30/02 -0300, you wrote:
>Hi David,
>All you can do is try to get them to have the piano, up to operating
temperature, before you tune.
>I do not believe there is a way to predetermine the amount of drift, that
will happen.
>It will happen, especially if the piano is kept in a controlled
environment room.
>Waiting for other answers, that might actually solve this problem.
>Regards,
>John M. Ross
>Windsor, Nova Scotia.
>jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca

terms of tuning stability.  I recently tuned an S&S D prior to rehearsal in
a new venue.  The piano was moved on stage where it was used under the
stage lights during rehearsal.  After the rehearsal I went to check the
tuning and noticed that the pitch had dropped by about 2-3 cents.

>  I used a Verituner for the first tuning and am confident about the
initial pitch setting.  I have tuned many stage concerts but not had this
happen before.  I am assuming it was the lights as I could feel that they
were quite warm.

>  Is there any reasonable way to avoid or prevent this?
>
>  David Love
>
>Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\ReStagel.htm"

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.
Saskatoon/Regina.
Canada.