Gluing Ivories Back On

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:18:32 -0700

Finally! Someone asked!!!!!: "So what do you like Joe?" sent in by Alan
Barnard. He gets the grand prize of a hearty cyber hand shake! He went on
further to talk about contact cement.....NOT! Even further...."Anyone still
messing with wafers, clamps, etc.?"
Back when Tuners Supply was still with us, they offered a kind of white glue
that was not the Elmers type stuff, but rather a volatile solvent based
thingee. I used that with good success, in conjunction with plates,clamps,
etc.
Since Tuners is gone, I have found that the best glue for replacing is Sobo
glue, (a more sophisticated White glue), that has been adulterated with
Titanium Dioxide, (that's what makes white paint white). Although this glue
takes a long time to set, it can be unclamped w/in an hour or so, as long as
it isn't subjected to playing for at least 12 hours. That is what I use. I
also am..."still messing with wafers, clamps, etc." If the original ivory
had a wafer and it was taken off, then a wafer Must be used in order to get
the surface level. When I do replacement with new Ivory, I sometimes will
use wafers, some times not. It depends on the application, height, etc.
This is the proper way to glue on Ivory.
The Elephant had to DIE in order for us to have the Ivory. Show a little
respect and treat it like the rare commodity that it is. PLEASE?
As for why Ivory? Most good pianist, if given the choice, will opt for
Ivory. Reason? Because it has a texture or grip that Plastic does not have.
Just one of those small things that make playing a good instrument better.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

I'm never lost, because everyone is telling me where to go. <G>