US made Yamaha upright

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 01:17:38 +0200

While I agree on the generalities of Del's remark, even with a piano
that is showing a "stiff" sound, we often can, by maximizing the sound
output with the most efficient regulation in regard of the piano
action, then with the most efficient voicing, and obtain a playable
and musical instrument.

I don't know if we learn to mask the defects, or get the most of the
piano, but when properly prep, even a piano that gives at first a very
disappointing impression can be musical.

Regulation (after a basic good tuning) seems to be the key, then the
piano's hammers are more understandable, and often relatively fast to
fix.

Hammer checking and let off, key level and deep, the flow of energy
between the keys and the hammers may be clear and comprehensible under
the fingers, then the masked sound begin to appear, then voicing is
something more easy to master. If the piano seems to ask for powerful
hammers that does not necessary mean it may have too hard hammers, and
the sound can be opened with regulation as with voicing.

I believe too that giving a good tone idea to the customer is of some
education to him, and will help him to choose a better piano next
time, while helping him not to be too frustrated with what he have.

Not sure how it works, but I can lower my tone hearing exigencies
level to find a good sound idea in more pianos  than I did before
(surely my ears aging ;>)

On any piano, regulation is like voicing, or tuning, you hear the good
spots while playing the note, for example for checking, letoff or
hammer travel.

Some verticals are more prone to that particularly some large vertical
models from Yamaha for the most current ones (U3)

just my august ideas

Regards.

Isaac OLEG