Shear Force

Stuart & Aimee Balsillie sabalsillie@bigpond.com
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 22:30:19 +1000

good evening to all,

I have been reading the comments on shear force with much interest.This =
being the first time I have felt I can offer some thought on a subject I =
hope that it helps.Basically it follows what most other people have been =
saying.

1.Stress is the force per unit area on a body. e.g. the force applied to =
a material 25m^2 is 100N, the material is under a stress of =
100N/25m^2=3D4Nm^2
2.Shearing forces try to slide particles or layers  of a body over one =
another.=20
The string exerts a force of 12kg+/- 5kg on the bridge pin which  is =
trying to shear the bridge pin in two.As the bridge pin has a high =
resistance to shearing forces the pin exerts a compressive (relatively =
speaking) force onto the bridge this is resisted by the material around =
the pin.As the wood is able to resist a shearing force is felt at the =
glue joint between the bridge and soundboard (assuming there is no =
bridge cap) as this is extremely strong it resists the initial string =
force.I am sure you have all seen what happens when the glue joint fails =
between the bridge and sound board, usually the bridge has moved =
position(depending on other variables)I feel the tensile force between =
the bridge pin and CA glue is negligible.Imagine if there was only the =
tensile strength of the glue holding the bridge pin and not the wood , =
there would be no way the tensile strength of the CA glue could resist  =
a stress of 120N acting on an area .775mm^2.
Also because the glue joint between the bridge and soundboard is so =
strong (for the forces we are using) we could assume that the  bridge =
and soundboard are one. So now it could be said that the bridge pin is =
exerting a shearing force on the bridge/soundboard.When bridges split it =
because this is the weakest link in the chain, I seriously doubt a =
bridge pin will ever shear and as long as the glue joint is strong the =
bridge will never shear from the soundboard. The wood around the bridge =
pin will give usually give way when the holes are usually drilled to =
close together and/or the hole is drilled to close to the edge of the =
bridge.
I am doubtful as to how much strength the CA glue actually offers to the =
resistance of string forces(long term) I would think reducing the string =
force on the bridge pin would be a better move of recap/replace the =
bridge.=20

I hope this has helped, apologies for writing some much.
time for sleep, good night/morning

Stuart Balsillie
Piano Technician
Victoria