school or home course

David Smith dsmith941@hotmail.com
Fri, 02 Aug 2002 08:35:52 -0500

Julie, I also would tend to agree with Phil, Jim, Ed.   My experiences in
the last 9 months as a student of piano technology have been:

1. The Randy Potter course (great course, probably the best home study
approach there is).  For me that is time and money well spent so far.  The
only negatives seem to me to be first, the lack of rapid, blunt, and
immediate feedback on my progress in skills, and second, the occasional
digression in the written material-- all good stuff, but would still benefit
from some tight editing.  All that said, I would
follow this same path again, given my personal situation of retired, family
and living in S Florida.  I would be happy to discuss The Randy Potter
course with you.  Email me privately if you wish.

2.  PTG participation.  Attended the Chicago convention and sponged up as
much knowledge as this sponge could hold.  Great experience which also gave
me a shot of energy and enthusiasm, along with making several new friends.
Also this LIST is invaluable to me.  Don't understand much of what I read,
but hope to someday.

3.  Beginning an what I hope will be an "informal apprentice" relationship
with a knowledgable and well-respected piano technician in my area who is
able and willing to help me learn.  Brief experience so far here, but this
is filling the voids in number 1 above.  Phil-your modesty prevents me from
saying more.

4.  Tuning and working on lots of pianos.  This experience, which apparently
is the real teacher, is what I lack.  My two pianos here at home (an old
upright for tuning, rapair, regulation practise, and a newer small grand for
fine tuning practise) have to suffice for me now.  Hope to have the ability
and opportunity to see lots of pianos as time goes on.

I believe that a school such at N Bennet St might be a better approach if
only from the full-time immersion aspect.  I Imagine there are other
benefits also, but have no first hand experience.  However, since I am not
able to move to the school, this doesn't work for me.

Hope this helps you Julie, and I would welcome feedback from anyone on the
list.

Dave Smith
Pine Island, Florida