stringing

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 19:21:56 -0400

> > In a message dated 08/04/2002 1:08:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, avery@ev1.net writes:
> >

> > But how do you get the lengths correct without a lot of waste or coming
> > up short? Especially from the middle on down.
> >

> > Avery,
> >  You can measure each one if you like.I have found that it's easier, that if you need 5 sizes of one wire,to cut them all the same as the longest one.It's so much easier,faster,and far out-weighs the small amount of waste.That way you have one tool in hand for a task,instead of constantly changing from
> > cuting, to stringing.
> > Best,
> > Hazen Bannister

 Hazen, I'm not quite grasping your technique, don't you still have to cut wire to exact length?  Are you putting the hitch bend in first and if you are doesn't that mean a cut for every pin?  The measuring, cutting and manipulating of those cut wires seems time consuming.   Can you elaborate further?

 On a different note I know several stringers who drive all their pins first and string later.  I have for the life of me not been able to figure any advantage with this technique.  In fact it seems to have many disadvantages.  Can someone  enlighten me?

Thanks
David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW