New Steinway Hammer replacement

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 21:11:46 -0400

At 11:12 AM 8/4/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>I am putting a new set of Steinway hammers shanks and flanges on a 1901
>model A grand.  This piano is on an island off the coast of Maine which is
>an hour ferry trip one way.  This piano is used by the Fox Island Concert
>Association and they will be using this piano August 14 th for a solo
>concert.  I will not have much time to put these hammers on and get them
>regulated and voiced for this concert.  This is the first set of Steinway
>hammers I have had to replace.  I am looking for some help in the
>preparation, regulation and voicing methods that you use on these hammers
>and any methods that might speed up this job. A step by step guide would
>be very helpful so that I don't make any major mistakes that could waste
>time.  I have done several grand regulations, but I do not have much
>voicing experience and none using lacquer and acetone.  I was told by Kent
>Webb to use 1part lacquer and 3 parts acetone and to soak the hammers
>completely.  If anyone has experince with this method or a different
>method your help would be greatly appreciated.
>I do have the Steinway Technical Reference Guide, but I am looking for
>more specific individual methods that you have developed from experince
>with these hammers.
>I am afraid of getting these hammers too hard and have difficulty voicing
>them.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Arthur Chickering
>Associate Member
>Maine Chapter

How many other sets of hammers have you installed? What condition are the
knuckles on this old piano? Are the centers sluggish.

Are these stock bored? Will you require a custom bored set for string
height anomalies?

Will the new hammer weight cause the touchweight to increase beyond being
comfortable?

Off hand I'd say you're being overly optimistic and you may find yourself
in an abysmal pit of despair. My advise would be to proceed
cautiously and not replace the hammers at this time.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com