New Steinway Hammer replacement

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 18:51:57 -0700

I've got to second Jon's advice, consider holding off on the=
 action rebuild until after the concert.  But if that isn't going=
 to fly...
Are they putting you up while you do the work or are you taking=
 the action to the shop?  If you go to pick up the action and=
 take it back to the shop, you've got about 2+ hours of time=
 right there.  Another 1+ hours to bring the action back for the=
 finish work.  Don't hesitate to bill them for this time!  They=
 could put you up for several days and let you do the work there.=
  I'm taking for granted you have pre-bored hammers from=
 Steinway.  The Journal has articles by Bill Spurlock on hammer=
 replacement.
What you ought to do is send another post to the List and tell us=
 what you think your procedure will be and what tools you'll=
 need.  This will give us a good idea if you can handle the job!
David Ilvedson

From: Jon Page <jonpage@attbi.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: New Steinway Hammer replacement

At 11:12 AM 8/4/2002 -0400, you wrote:

Dear List,
I am putting a new set of Steinway hammers shanks and flanges on=
 a 1901 model A grand.  This piano is on an island off the coast=
 of Maine which is an hour ferry trip one way.  This piano is=
 used by the Fox Island Concert Association and they will be=
 using this piano August 14 th for a solo concert.  I will not=
 have much time to put these hammers on and get them regulated=
 and voiced for this concert.  This is the first set of Steinway=
 hammers I have had to replace.  I am looking for some help in=
 the preparation, regulation and voicing methods that you use on=
 these hammers and any methods that might speed up this job. A=
 step by step guide would be very helpful so that I don't make=
 any major mistakes that could waste time.  I have done several=
 grand regulations, but I do not have much voicing experience and=
 none using lacquer and acetone.  I was told by Kent Webb to use=
 1part lacquer and 3 parts acetone and to soak the hammers=
 completely.  If anyone has experince with this method or a=
 different method your help would be greatly appreciated.
I do have the Steinway Technical Reference Guide, but I am=
 looking for more specific individual methods that you have=
 developed from experince with these hammers.
I am afraid of getting these hammers too hard and have difficulty=
 voicing them.

Thanks for your help.

Arthur Chickering
Associate Member
Maine Chapter

How many other sets of hammers have you installed? What condition=
 are the knuckles on this old piano? Are the centers sluggish.

Are these stock bored? Will you require a custom bored set for=
 string height anomalies?

Will the new hammer weight cause the touchweight to increase=
 beyond being comfortable?

Off hand I'd say you're being overly optimistic and you may find=
 yourself in an abysmal pit of despair. My advise would be to=
 proceed
cautiously and not replace the hammers at this time.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com