Bent Tuning Pins

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 20:20:00 -0600

Just Thinking,
Perhaps the pin was bent during  cooling after the heat treatment.  Sort =
of like cooking a weiner. <G>
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 7:45 PM
  Subject: Re: Bent Tuning Pins

  In a message dated 8/6/02 9:40:22 PM !!!First Boot!!!, =
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca writes:=20

    Hi List,=20
    I just removed the pins in a piano, in preparation for a =
restringing.=20
    The majority of the old pins were bent, some were quite bad.=20
    Is this because, a tuner was bending the pins, to fine tune? I seem =
to=20
    remember someone saying they bent the pin a bit.=20
    Regards,=20
    John M. Ross=20

  It would seem to me that the tip of the hammer would break before it =
could bend a tuning pin. Is there any evidence that the pins had been =
driven? Maybe in the process of driving them deeper in the block, the =
tuner hit them at an angle. Just a thought.=20

  Wim=20