OT: Question on Lesson Studios

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Tue, 06 Aug 2002 20:27:42 -0600

Hi,

Fiberglass increases the effective "size" by a multiplier of approximately
1.6 so your 6 inch wall "acts" like about a ten inch one. Separate plates
rather than one six inch one isolated from each other. Do it right the
first time!

At 05:52 PM 8/6/02 -0700, you wrote:
>It's been my experience that fiberglass does nothing for sound insulation.
>The offset studs are very good and then sound board with an air space
>between it and the sheetrock. Use strips of sheetrock for your spacers
>between the soundboard and the sheetrock. Addition of another layer of
>soundboard WITH another air space will deaden the sound even more though
>would be necessary only if one side of the wall is workable. You could put
>the soundboard in the wall but usually  the plates are 2 x 6 and the studs
>are 2 x 4 so there isn't a straight line down the center of the wall.
>Keith

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca

http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/