Major polyester repair

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Wed, 07 Aug 2002 18:17:06 -0400

At 05:24 PM 8/7/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated Wed, 7 Aug 2002 3:27:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>cfaulk2@juno.com writes:
>Charles, unfortunately there is no real way to repair a disaster like this
>without it sticking out like a sore thumb.  If you repair and refinish the
>front half of the lid it will not match the back half (all blacks are
>different), sometimes you can get away with surfaces that are not on the
>same plane, such as the top and the side of the piano being just a little
>off in color match.
>Polyester can provide a great base to spray lacquer over (eliminating the
>need to strip and seal) and there may be refinishers in you area that will
>finish the entire piano with a little discount for the work saved.  All in
>all the piano will probably have to be completely refinished to look right.
>
>David Koelzer
>Vintage Pianos
>DFW

I have been using a finish which will blend with polyester in color and
sheen: PianoLac.

Once the veneer is repaired and if a poly-repair person is not available;
the front lid top
and bass cheek can be finished with this material and a suitable repair
effected. Once
rubbed out and polished you will not readily see a difference. I sprayed a
Yamaha lyre:
vertical posts and the top of the pedal box. Once rubbed-out and buffed it
was a perfect
match to the remaining unsprayed portion.

PianoLac also blends in for spot repairs on lacquer as well. Presently. I'm
repairing moving
damage on a 5 year old S&S finish. Even the material dropped-in with an
artist's brush is
unnoticeable.

No bad for a water-borne finish. To get more info on this product contact
Arthur Grudko
mailto:Gutlo@bestweb.net

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician