Bridge pin buzz

Paul McCloud pmc333@earthlink.net
Wed, 07 Aug 2002 23:07:25 -0700

 Gentlemen:
    I have a similar problem with a Scheidmeyer 6' grand we have for
sale at the store where I am employed..  It has a terrible buzz in the
bass.  The bridges are in need of new caps, as the old ones are
questionable (nailed down to the bridges).  The store had it restrung
recently.  The stagger across the bridge on the bass (and also the long
bridge) is very minimal.  There are cracks all over the caps, but the
pins are not loose, seems they may have been glued.
    Question: Is the almost nonexistant stagger the cause of the
terrible bass tone in the upper end of the bridge?  Or could it be the
questionable glue joint of the cap to the bridge?  Both?
    I was told that the bridge could be removed and sent for recapping.
I've never done this, so can this be done with the plate in?  There's no
apron, it's just glued on.   Since the piano is already restrung, I
don't think the store is going to pay to have it redone if I have to
remove the plate to get the bridge out.   The plate is about 1/2" to
3/4" from the bridge.  There's not room enough to get a chisel under the
bridge with the plate in the way.  Any way to get it out without
damaging the board?
    If I have it duplicated, how would I insure the stagger is going to
be correct or enough?
    The one option I am thinking may work is to remove the pins, fill
the holes and cracks, redrill the pin holes, and put the (bass) strings
back on, drilling to add a little more stagger angle.
     Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Thank you.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego