Thunk, wunk

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 07:59:59 -0700

Hello Alan,
The fact that these strings "look" newer than the others may be a clue.
If someone had decided to clean them with some sort of metal polish,
that could ruin the tone completely.  In that case, the only solution is
to replace them.

jeannie

jgrassi@silverlink.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Alan R. Barnard
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2002 7:08 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Thunk, wunk

1921 Geo. Steck small grand. The bass strings can't be as old as the
piano. They are still copper-colored and "look" fairly clean etc.

But when struck, the bichord notes have very little sustain. The singles
do better. The tenor and treble sounds great, very sweet actually.

I tried the old remove-loop-and-roll on the worst note. The string looks
a little brighter but I can't tell much difference in the sound.

Any ideas? I wondered about a downbearing problem or something but would
assume such a design flaw would be unlikely.

Alan R. Barnard