Mason&Hamlin A board replacement

Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:39:02 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marcel Carey" <mcpiano@globetrotter.net>
To: "pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 07, 2002 5:12 PM
Subject: Mason&Hamlin A board replacement

> Hi!
>
> I've just taken out the board of the above mentionned piano. It's the
> first time I see a board that was so well glued and screwed down.
> Would it be better to float the bass end of this particular model? And
> isn't the ribbing a little too stiff in the treble?
>
> To me there are a lot of ribs in the treble. Would I just be looking
> for trouble if I were to try to improve it? And if I did, I surely
> would like to have some previous experience feedback from some of you
> PLEASE.
>
> Marcel Carey, RPT
> 2852 Dussault
> Rock Forest  QC
> J1N 2V6
> (819) 564-0447
> mcpiano@globetrotter.net

Marcel,

I'll be surprised if you get more than guarded responses to a generalized
set of questions like this. There are far too many variables involved to
give specific answers. So much depends on your own personal experience and
your own knowledge of piano structure and theory. If I say, "yes--float the
bass," (and I would) I have a specific design in mind based on my experience
with floating soundboards. I'm probably thinking of a new bass bridge, as
well--one with no cantilever. And a new bass string scale. And vertical
hitches (at least through the bass section). It will probably also have a
transition bridge in the low tenor. It is doubtful that you will have the
same image in your mind as you read my answer.

The same with the ribs. What do you mean by "a lot of ribs..." How was the
original board crowned? How are you planning to crown the new board? What
are the ribs made out of? What are your new ribs going to be made of? Are
you leaving them in the same location? What will their cross-section be? How
thick is the new soundboard going to be? What is the grain-angle of the new
board? Are you changing the scale? Are you moving the bridge? Are you making
a new bridge?

There is simply too many variations to the theme to give pat answers. I'll
be presenting another all-day seminar on this subject for the Pomona Valley
(California) chapter next month and in six-plus hours I'll only scratch the
surface of the various possibilities.

I come back to my standard advice on this question: Learn all you can about
how soundboards work--not just how to install them, but how they work. There
is a fair amount written on this now. And there are even convention classes
showing up from time to time. Thirty years ago you'd have been on your own
but today, by comparison, there is a veritable wealth of information
available. Buy a couple of pianos you won't mind writing off if need be and
start experimenting. It's great fun and infinitely rewarding. But going in
half-informed can get you into real trouble real fast.

Del