replacing bass strings

Clair Dunn cadunn@vt2000.com
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 04:06:50 -0500 (CDT)

David--
Forgive this answer if you have already gotten it; I get the list in
digest form.
Unless the pins are tapered pins, I would advise putting in new
pins. If the current pins are really tight, use 3/0.
If the original pins are tapered pins, use the original pins, but
shim them with emery paper--rough side to the wood. Tapered pins are
rare however, and they probably won't be in the Story and Clark.
Just taking out the old pins and putting them back in again will
enlarge the hole. The currently tight pins will then be loose. If
you must use the old pins, then shim those.
Cheers,
Clair