guessing at original strings or not

Clair Dunn cadunn@vt2000.com
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 04:15:43 -0500 (CDT)

Alan --

When in doubt as to whether bass strings have been replaced, I
always very carefully check out the tuning pins and coils. It is
usually pretty easy to discern a difference between say the bass
pins and the rest if replacement has been made. The color, the dirt,
the coil pattern, etc. is usually different enough to give clues
that replacement has occurred.
Clair
--
Clair's Piano Service
http://www.vt2000.com/cps

Alan wrote:

1921 Geo. Steck small grand. The bass strings can't be as old as the
piano. They are still copper-colored and "look" fairly clean etc.

But when struck, the bichord notes have very little sustain. The
singlesdo better. The tenor and treble sounds great, very sweet actually.

I tried the old remove-loop-and-roll on the worst note. The string
looksa little brighter but I can't tell much difference in the sound.

Any ideas? I wondered about a downbearing problem or something but
wouldassume such a design flaw would be unlikely.

Alan R. Barnard