No capstans?

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 15:24:38 -0700

Working on an old Schubert full up., circa 1895. Not sure how to adjust for
losr motion after filing/reshaping hammeres. No capstan but raised wodden
type buttons at end of keys with 2 screws holding them on. they don't appear
to be adjustable, so i wonder the best/correct way to eliminate lost motion.

Also, I'll be installing a DC De-humid with stat...no humidifier as the
average RH is 60-100%. This piano at first inspection was 15-50c sharp, and
not tuned for more than 10 years! Waaaay to much moisture in this house not
far from the ocean. I left it UNtuned since my assumption is that the
dehumidifier(which will probably be running 24-7 for the first couple
months) will leach out alot of excess moisture, thereby causing the piano to
drop pitch, hopefully close to the ballpark. Is this a safe bet? How long
should I wait to tune it after DC installation? ThankS!!! Btw, piano seems
structurally sound with decent pin block and no apparent past string
breakage.

Terry Peterson