Cleaning keys

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:51:53 -0700

At 08:32 AM 8/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi list!
>
>Baby wipes work great.  Just dry them (the baby wipes) a bit with a paper
>towel so they're not so wet.  You can use the same paper towel to clean
>the rest of the keys.  I'd be afraid to use toothpaste on plastic keys as
>it is abrasive.  When I was young I used toothpaste to clean my flute and
>over time it ruined the silver finish.
>
>Laura Olsen, RPT
>Barrington, IL

I haven't found cloudiness to be a problem. It's not quite as perfect a
mirror finish as brand new keytops, but these are far from new anyway,
usually. It's such a fine abrasive that it just leads to a slightly
"warmer" shine. It does do a good job on wax buildup, various forms of
crud, and even, with some effort, ball point pen. For old adhesive from
labels, I have to go to citrus solvent in a damp rag.

Susan