Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 00:15:01 -0700

>Greetings,
>    Since one of the primary tests for ET is that of progressing beat rate
>speeds of all intervals, if all fourths have that slow, lazy sensuous
>rolling,  it would seem that there would be a mightly flat treble, and a
>muchly flat bass, (since fourths and fifths slow down from the middle
>downward in my ET, I wonder how far I would have to widen G1-C2 to make it
>"roll").
Well....if you remember, I said it was a challenge to hear the actual
"roll" in the bass. Maybe you're not listening to the right thing; it
took me a long time to actually hear the fourths in the bottom 12 notes
of the piano-----AND, of course, we're talking about very good pianos.
But----to my ears, tuning octaves with the "proper" stretch to
them----proper to my aural sensibilities, of course---makes the fourths
beat pretty much the same all over the piano.  It's just hard to hear
them in the bottom and the top; but you can, if you are patient.  I go to
primarily octave tests rather than primarily fourth and fifth tests (or
eleventh and eighteenth tests) in the 6th and 7th octaves, but
yeah---THEY PRETTY MUCH ALL BEAT THE SAME.  If you come to LA, or I'm
ever where you live,  I'll be more than pleased to show you what I
mean...........

>   In addition,  I have never seen a piano that could be tuned so that all
>of
>ANY interval are the same without compromising others somewhere here and
>there through the span.
Well......that's why there's horse races,  Ed.
>    Care to explain a little further on this??
Words are so clumsy....if we were in a room together with a good piano
for a couple hours, everything would be so much clearer.......
>Regards,
And right back at ya,
>Ed Foote RPT
David Andersen