Flag poling Petrof pins?

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 18:33:44 -0700

Robert, I know this isn't going to really help you out too much, but if =
misery loves company, you're not alone. Any time I tune a piano with =
coils that high from the block or bushing, I have to be especially =
careful not to "flagpole" the pins. I have found that in cases like =
that, it's easier for me to stand and tune with the hammer parallel to =
the string. Takes some more contorting of the ol' bod, but it's the only =
way I know to get a really stable result. Hope that helps, other than =
that I can only say that I hope somebody else has a better idea, then we =
could both benefit from the discussion.=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Robert Goodale=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 3:13 AM
  Subject: Flag poling Petrof pins?

  Hello,

  I would like to inquire if anyone else has observed excessive flag =
poling of Petrof tuning pins.  The piano: Model III.  The place: =
Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.  The piano is heavily used for moderate =
Jazz, (6-12 hours a day), in a lounge.  The piano is tuned twice per =
week.

  Stability seems to be a problem.  This piano has an open faced pin =
block which means that the pins stand upright and do not lean back as in =
a conventional design.  The coils stand 1/4" - 3/8" above the block.  =
The hypothesis is that the pins may be bending excessively due to the =
high coils, making setting the pins more difficult.

  A possible cure would be to simply set the pins deeper into the block, =
 although this is speculative theory, (particularly since this is how it =
was designed).  Additionally this would add friction to the pins which =
may contribute or create a new problem.

  Anyone experienced with this piano and had similar problems?  If so =
what solution?

  Rob Goodale, RPT
  Las Vegas, NV

  Alan Meyer, Associate