CA+kicker on bridge pins

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:11:51 EDT

In a message dated 8/14/02 9:07:27 PM Central Daylight Time, Tvak@AOL.COM
writes:

> << Squirt a couple of drops of CA glue in the
> hole, spray some kicker on the pin, and drive the pin in the hole. >>
>
> I have never used kicker on bridge repairs with CA.  I say this not to
> disagree, but to question my not using it in the past.  Since the kicker
> only
> accelerates the drying of the glue, what's the hurry?  Why not just let the
> glue dry on its own?  I ask these quesitons out of naivete having used CA
> only on about a dozen bridges at this point. Still, just letting the glue
> dribble into the hole and letting it dry by itself seems to do the trick.
> (Pins are tight afterwards.)

If you have the time to wait for the glue to dry on its own, I guess you
don't have to use the kicker. I have never let this glue dry on its own, so I
don't know how long it would take. That is why I use the kicker. It sets the
glue within 10 seconds. I get instant results, and I can move on to the next
project.

> Do you also use kicker when applying CA to a pin block?  (I haven't used it
> in that application either, also with seemingly good results.  Which
> doesn't
> mean I wouldn't be happy to get better results with the kicker!)
>
> Just asking,
>
> Tom Sivak

I have never used CA glue for pin block repairs. But I guess the same goes
for this, as it does with the bridge pins.

Wim