Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:22:30 -0500

> >Again, in theory, but I'm not sure that is the case in the piano. Of course
> > they can be in phase and not be in acceptable  tune, but you already know
> >that.
>
>Um,  I am not sure I do know that.  If you have different rates of vibration,
>how are they going to be in phase?
>If the differences were large enough to form multiples of one another, I
>could see it, but if you have a string going at 500 Hz and another at 501,
>they won't have a very easy time of getting together, will they?
>Ed

Didn't you say you could tune a unison better by ear than strictly with an
ETD? With the strings at the same measurable pitch at the measured partial,
they should be in tune, right? But they aren't necessarily, to your ear
because a string doesn't vibrate in a clean simple wave at it's fundamental
pitch. The differences you are hearing that the ETD isn't allowing for are
all over the place instead of at one very narrowly specific pitch. That's
the fuzzy analog "least bad" wetware algorithm at work, and even if it was
available in an ETD, folks would still be lining up to argue with it. It's
what we do.

Ron N