Looking for advice - cracked plate

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:31:19 EDT

In a message dated 8/14/02 9:59:48 PM Central Daylight Time,
pianotech@ttlv.net writes:

> >> Hi,
>>  I have a friend,and fellow technician who's needing advice.He went and
>> looked at a small Cable grand  (1905) for a customer looking to buy it.He
>> told him it was worth the 800.00 asking price,and didn't see anything
>> structurely wrong with it.The customer bought the instrument and my friend
>> moved it.He pich raised it 1/4 step,tuned,and the next day,it had a
>> cracked plate.I reassured him that he did nothing wrong,according to what
>> he told me.What should he do?
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Hazen Bannister

Hazen

The answers you have gotten on how to repair the cracked plate have been very
helpful. But I am wondering if the answer you're looking for is how is your
friend going to tell the customer that the cracked plate is not his fault,
nor that it was a problem that could be foreseen.

This is probably one of the most difficult things in our line of work,
appraising a piano, which then develops a problem. The only answer I can give
is you is to have your friend get the Journal article to back up the
explanation that these problems do happen, and that it was purely
coincidental that the plate cracked after he tuned the piano. Hopefully, it
can be explained that, unfortunately, this is one of the dangers of buying an
older used instruments.

Wim