More dip in bass

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:57:12 -0400

At 9:58 AM -0400 8/15/02, Erwinspiano@AOL.COM wrote:
Resetting the sunken hammer line/blow distance to spec.brings the
after touch back into tolerance ,don't it? If the dip/aftertouch was
once set acurately to a given blow distance this wil work. The same
would be true on the baldwin even if it has graduating key and action
rations. Phil was choosing to alter the dip,to accomadate the ratios,
I'd choose to alter the hammer line and have the dip the same
although I know I definitely don't like a shallow feel in the bass
either.

Why is why I prefer to set the hammer blow where I think it should
be, and then regulate the aftertouch (not the dip, thank you).

I look it it this way. if because of variations in leverage which can
show up from note to note, two keys next to each other (and with
identical blow) need amounts of aftertouch which disagree by 0.01", I
would much prefer to have the two dips disagree so that for a commmon
blow, the aftertouch can be the same. I figure that the pianist will
notice that 0.10" disagreement far less when put into the dip (to
achieve a consistent aftertouch), than put into the aftertouch (to
achieve a common dip). Comparing 0.010" to 0.396" dip (or what have
you), or comparing 0.010" to 0.050" aftertouch (especially if the
0.01" to is subtracted from instead of added to the aftertouch? I'd
put my money on the error being  in the dip rather than the
aftertouch.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture"
     ...........Steve Martin