Looking for advice - cracked plate

Duplexdan@AOL.COM Duplexdan@AOL.COM
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 00:59:30 EDT

Andrew,

Just jumping in on this matter at the last minute, I may have missed the
opportunity to say something worthwhile. But at the risk of being redundant
you may want to check out these few comments.

I have had three encounters with tuning pianos with cracked or cracking
plates. The first was in the storeroom of Renard pianos in the Bronx. I was
tuning and suddenly the strings at a certain note just didn't pull up
correctly. Of course I had a fit and worried until the boss humanely excused
me from the accident.

The second was tuning a Baldwin upright at the UN . When I reached a certain
treble note a WOWWWWwwwww excreted from the piano. Willie Clare was
horrified, and we exchanged expletives for a few moments but Baldwin
eventually picked up and replaced the instrument.

The third was a Bosendorfer whose plate struts were so bent on inspection I
was afraid to tune the piano at all for fear of a string blast of 20,000 lbs
that would have blown me out of Eddie Palmieri;s living room. So I called
Steve Fairchild. I have no idea what happened to the piano.

The bottom line is you, as a tuner are failsafe. The strings will snap before
the plate cracks. If the plate cannot sustain the additional tension of
string tuned beyond the snapping point, it is defective.

If, heaven forbid, the client wants to blame you, my best advice would be to
sue everybody, especially the maker.

Dan Franklin