Pitch Raises ... Multiple Passes?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 06:07:58 -0400

".....I almost always use two passes even with pianos close to pitch."

Let's say a piano is close to pitch (2 to 5 cents flat). You want a really nice tuning, so you will do two passes. Will you do the first pass in pitch raise (Coarse) mode? Or will you do both passes in Fine Tuning mode? As far as the tuning calculation process goes, is there any difference in the way the VT will calculate the tuning with either approach?

Let's say another piano is closer to pitch (0 to 3 cents flat). Still reason to do two passes for a really fine tuning. What modes will you use for this one and why?

What overpull percentages do you find work well with your VT? And when doing a pitch raise pass, in what order do you proceed across the keyboard (start at A0 and go up, or what)?

Thanks, thanks, and thanks.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Koval" <rontuner@hotmail.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2002 9:35 AM
Subject: Re: Pitch Raises ... Multiple Passes?

Verituner stuff coming....

snip
Hi Terry, Thanks that works great!!!!
Tell me more about the auto step process.
Joe Goss
snip

Hey all-

Well, I'm not Terry, but I'll give it a try:

I think your use of the auto-step process will depend on your preferred
tuning order.  The way the VT calculates a tuning works best from the middle
out.  In other words, tune A4, A3, the octave between A3-A4, then either go
up to the top, or down to the bottom.  I prefer going down first on pitch
raises to get the tension right in the bass before going up.  I know some
people like to get the treble done while their ears are less fatigued.
(earplugs, earplugs, earplugs, people)  Since all of this tuning will be
stepwise, I do most of the tuning in stepwise only mode.  I use the octave
up or down key to jump between sections.  The jump to anywhere mode works
pretty well when the piano is close to pitch, but if you are using other
notes as checks along the way, it can get confused.  Hint: be quiet for a
second, then strike the note, and it will usually find where you are. (The
button labled "auto" will cycle through the different options.  If you've
been tuning in stepwise for awhile, and push the button, it will jump to
manual, otherwise you have to cruise through the options to reach it.)

For pitch raises (lowers, now)  even in step mode, it may jump to the next
note and mess up your overpull calculation, especially in the treble.  That
is the time to use manual mode and just advance each note with the note up
button.  Also, the first 5 notes in the bass on smaller pianos benefit from
a manual selection.

I guess to keep with the subject line, I'll chime in and say that I almost
always use two passes even with pianos close to pitch.  I've always tuned
with just mutes, and started to use a split mute this year to lessen the
mute shifting. Take a peek at the display after the unison is tuned to make
sure it didn't shift.

When using an electronic tuning calculator, it's hard for some people to
trust the machine and just tune on the first pass.  Any interval playing
just defeats the overpull process.  Save your ears for the fine work after
the first pass is done.  It's not that unusual to do a third pass on the
lowest plain-wire octave, just to make sure everything is solid in that
area.  The important thing is to just keep moving, and you should be able to
finish in an hour, or so.

Helpful?

Ron Koval
Chicagoland