Pitch Raises ... Multiple Passes?

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 17:31:41 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_000F_01C24B94.1C3566E0
P.S. Freely translated, "Yabut"  means "Yeah, but..." :-}

I knew that Alan, I was just being obstinate.=20

    That twenty minute tuning isn't known as a Concert Tuning From a =
Master Technician type of tuning believe me. It's more of a "Oh my God, =
look at the time, how will I ever,,,,,I hope it's not too bad..." type =
of exercise in pure horror. Actually, when doing one of these types of =
things, as the clock ticks down to zero hour, you start taking items off =
the mental inventory table of things you normally do. When It get's any =
shorter than 20 minutes or so, we're looking at cleaning up unisons, and =
any octaves that really stand out. In my opinion, a concert tuning is =
where I have at least four hours to go over the piano and address =
tuning, voicing, and regulation issues. In this instance, I checked the =
overall pitch, which was really close, set up my SAT, started at A4, =
checked the width of the temperament octave and away we went, tuning =
down from there to the bottom, fudging octaves as I went. Then I go back =
to A4, set the machine at A3, and started tuning custom stretch octaves =
up to about d#5, then I set the machine at E3 and tune leaving the notes =
a couple of cents sharp. I get up to B6, with the machine set at B4, =
after tuning it, I take the machine up to B6, if it agrees with what I =
have done, then I know I'm in the ball park for the stretch I like and =
buzz through the top octave. After that it's pull all those unisons in =
as quick as I can, and when I'm done I play four octaves chromatically =
through the center of the piano to the top octave, looking for anything =
that isn't a smooth progression. That's my quick tuning technique.=20

  ----- Original Message -----=20