Transposing Piano

Sat, 24 Aug 2002 21:38:44 -0700

Re: Transposing PianoI think I understand this.  So there are four notes =
which are duplicated on either side of the bass/treble break then?

David Love

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ron Overs=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: August 24, 2002 8:49 PM
  Subject: Re: Transposing Piano

  Hi all,

  In a message dated 8/23/02 4:36:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time, =
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

    I have a customer with an Ibach Transposing Piano.  I haven't seen =
it yet.  What is it and basically, how does it work.

  These Ibach transposers are interesting. The one in Sydney we maintain =
is owned by the Faber-Castell family (of pencil fame).

  There is a lever under the keyboard (under the treble end) which is =
depressed then shifted to a new position to relocate the rest position =
of the action (to select the desired key). When the 'shift' lever is =
first depressed, it lifts the damper tray to avoid damper lever damage =
when the action is shifted.

  The one we maintain, when at the 'key of C' position, has a standard =
compass from A1 to A 85. The 'key position' can be adjusted four =
semitones up and down from the C position. So the lowest note in the =
bass is the F below A1 while the highest in the treble is C88. There are =
extra notes either side of the bass/treble break which are required when =
the action is shifted from the standard 'key of C' position. The plate =
is made with a capo bar which extends through the entire compass of the =
instrument, inverted agraffes are inserted into the capo to enable the =
string positions to be evenly spaced from the bass/treble break to the =
very highest note. The plate struts are quite elevated to allow for the =
strings to be located under the struts where necessary.

  Tuning these instruments is an interesting exercise, since the 'scale' =
is laid in the C position, then as the bass/treble break is approached =
one needs to 'change gears' to the lowest key to tune all strings in the =
tenor. Once the tenor is tuned one has to 'change gears' again to the =
highest key, to tune the highest notes in the bass section. Then 'low =
gear' needs to be found again the lowest notes in the bass.

  All in all, these 'formula 1' style tunings should attract a higher =
fee. But then again, it makes a tuning day a little more interesting =
than usual.

  Best regards,
  Ron O.
--=20